Monday, August 3, 2009

Japan: Day 11 (Shopping, Electric area and Mt Fuji at night)


Day 11 was a low-key day to prepare for the trip to Mt. Fuji (we started the hike around 10 PM on Day 11). We slept in which was very relaxing. We saw a little bit of Tokyo before Mt Fuji - ate lunch with the businessmen, shopped in department stores and then walked around the electric area.
***
We had a "working man's lunch". Btw, all of the businessmen wear black pants with a white shirt - there is no color in their wardrobe.

When you come in the restaurant, you order and pay for the meal you want. The machine prints a ticket.

Then you give the ticket to the server and shortly after, he brings the meal you ordered. It is very efficient, we were eating within minutes.
***
After lunch, Dave and I walked around looking for ponchos for Mt Fuji. I brought my Marmot waterproof jacket to Japan but it was not waterproof which I learned in Miyajima. Apparently putting the waterproof jacket in the washer makes it not waterproof anymore. The first poncho I saw was $180 - no thanks! After a couple of hours, we finally found reasonably priced ponchos at a department store. A very nice (English speaking) associate helped us.
***
At the electric area, there were quite a few electric stores. The largest store, Yodobashi-Camera, has 12 or 13 floors and it has all the electronics/house-hold items you can imagine - cameras, TVs, computers, iPods, movies, exercise equipment, refrigerators, audio/video, games, kitchen appliances, etc...It was pretty overwhelming (and wish I got a picture to capture it) and we could have spent a lot more time in the store. It was interesting to see all the Japanese "stuff".

One of the electric store , 5 floors.
The rest of the electronic type pictures below are in the Yodobashi-Camera store (the big one).

Lots of TVs as you can imagine.

I've heard of Blu-Ray DVDs on movies but didn't know there were R & RW discs available. I think Japan is ahead of the U.S. on technology...Whoops, just checked on Amazon and you can buy them there. I guess I'm behind on technology.
The refrigerators were neat - so many compartments. How many temperature controls do you think there are?

Japanese stove. It would have been interesting to visit someone's home.
***
After dinner, it was off to Mt Fuji! We took a 2 1/2 hour bus trip to Station 5 on Mt Fuji. There are 10 stations total, with Station 5 being the farthest a bus goes. To get to the top, you have to hike. From the little research of Mt Fuji we did, "anyone can climb it - kids and elderly"...lets just say Day 12 was not that easy for me. :)

We took a Transformers bus to Mt Fuji.

We arrived just before 10 PM and this store on Station 5 was open.
Posing in front of a Mt Fuji poster by the bathroom.

The Benshen's ready to climb Fuji!

The Benson's ready to climb Fuji! Head lamps are on.

We started hiking around 10 PM. It was dark.

It was also windy.
Stay tuned for Day 12...the part of Mt Fuji where the pictures actually turn out.

No comments: